|Regions with significant populations|
|United States (Louisiana)|
|Traditional tribal religion, Protestant Christianity|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Other Koasati people|
- Coushatta Casino Resort is located in Kinder, LA on Highway 165 (I-10 exit 44), featuring over 2,000 slots and more than 65 table games, plus live poker, live bingo and off-track betting.
- UPDATE: Coushatta Tribe decides to close casino - KATC Lafayette News 3.17.20 Coushatta Casino Resort celebrates 25 years of business - KLFY 1.19.20 The Struggle Makes US Stronger.
- My hubby and I absolutely love our three-day stays at the Coushatta Casino and Resort in Kinder, LA. The Casino offers a great selection of table games, including Three-Card Poker, Four-Card Poker, a.
Coushatta Casino Resort La
The Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana is one of three federally recognized tribes of Koasati people. They are is located in Allen and Jefferson Davis Parishes, Louisiana. The tribe hosts an annual pow wow during the second weekend in June.
Coushatta Casino Resort is owned by the Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana and is located in Kinder, Louisiana. With a beautifully appointed room, you can stay where you play.
The Coushatta Indian Reservation is located on 154-acres in Allen Parish, Louisiana. Approximately 400 people lived on the reservation in the 1990s. The reservation has a tribal police department, fire department, and court house. There is also a tribal medical facility, fitness center, and event center.
The Koasati language is part of the Apalachee-Alabama-Koasati branch of the Muskogean languages. An estimated 200 people spoke the language in 2000, most of whom lived in Louisiana. Historically, the language was spoken exclusively among tribal members and was never written down. In 2007, along with McNeese State University, the tribe received a NSF documenting endangered language (DEL) grant that provided necessary resources to document and preserve the Koasati language.
The Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana is headquartered in Elton, Louisiana. The tribe is a sovereign nation and is governed by a democratically elected five-member council. The current administration is as follows:
- Chairman: David Sickey
- Vice–Chairmam: Kevin Sickey
- Secretary Treasurer: Loretta Williams
- Council Member: Crystal Williams
- Council Member: Jonathan Cernek.
On November 17, 2008, the Sovereign Nation of the Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana became the first Native American tribe to recognize, honor and welcome official representatives of the State of Israel.
The tribe owns and operates the Coushatta Casino Resort in Kinder, Louisiana. The casino is home to the Koasati Pines golf course. The casino operates 8 restaurants and 4 hotels, and is the largest casino in the state. The casino employs over 2500 local residents, and it is one of the top five largest private employer in Southwest Louisiana. ],
- ^'Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana.'Archived 24 March 2005 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- ^ abcPritzker 364
- ^Coushatta Powwow. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- ^'Koasati.'Ethnologue. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- ^'The Koasati Indians of Southwest Louisiana.'
- ^'Koasati Language Project.' Retrieved 11 December 2018
- ^'Tribal Government.'Archived 4 July 2013 at Archive.todayCoushatta Tribe of Louisiana. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- ^'Coushatta signs friendship treaty with Israel.' Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- ^'Major employers of Southwest Louisiana.'
- ^'Coushatta Casino Resort.'500 Nations. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- McCrocklin, Claude (1990). 'The Red River Coushatta Indian Villages of Northwest Louisiana, 1790-1835'. Louisiana Archaeology. No. 12.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN978-0-19-513877-1
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koasati.|
- Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana, official website