The types of roulette bets that you make will determine both your chances of winning and the potential payback you’ll receive if you do win. Understanding how these bets work will help you make the best decisions as you play. It will also help you to customize your online roulette experience based on your tolerance for risk and the size of reward you desire.
Best Roulette Casinos Online. Play real money roulette at the best online casinos today. We review the top roulette sites for quality, security and fairness, allowing you to focus on the game. Find the leading sites, most exciting bonuses and expert tips to playing and winning roulette online on this page. European Roulette and single zero appear to be the same but there is one major difference. European Roulette has a rule known as “la partage.” This returns half of an even money bet if the ball lands on zero. This cuts the house edge on red/black, odd/even and hi/lo to 1.35%. All other bets on both tables have a 2.7% house edge.
Surrender only applies to those bets which offer even money, though. Another option is to play European roulette, if you can find it. That game only has a single zero on the wheel, which reduces the house edge to 2.70%. The best bet in roulette is on a European roulette table which offers the en prison option.
Online roulette takes the one-of-a-kind experience of a spinning roulette wheel and brings it to any connected device that you have. When you play online roulette, you’ll have many different betting options at your disposal, each coming with specific odds and possible payback percentages. Once you know how all this works, you’ll become a better roulette player.
In the following article, we’ll give you the basics about the types of roulette bets available to you when you play the game online. We’ll talk about how these bets relate to what’s on the wheel and how the odds for each affect the payback you’ll potentially receive. Finally, we’ll ask some of the most common questions you might have about the bets you can make when playing online roulette.
Learning the Online Roulette Table
Before you can understand the types of bets you can make playing online roulette, you do have to understand what you’re looking at on a roulette board. Obviously, this will be a simulated board for an online roulette game, but it will look exactly like the one you would see in a casino.
The numbers 1 through 36 form a grid, with three columns of 12 numbers each. Spaces within the grid area also divided by color, with 18 red and 18 black. On top of the grid are either one (European-style) or two (American-style) green spaces, which contain zeros (0 and 00 in the American game, just 0 in the European game).
Outside the grid are separate spaces indicating blocks of numbers within the grid, such as “Odd,” “1-18,” or “1st 12.” You’ll also usually see spaces at the end of each column outside the grid indicating “2 to 1,” which represents what you’ll be paid if you make a bet there (on an entire column) and win.
Roulette Inside Bets
These are the bets that take place on numbers within the grid. Here is a brief rundown of these bets.
- Straight: A bet on a single number on the grid. You can bet on any of the red or black numbers or the 0 or 00. To make this bet, simply place your chip directly on the number.
- Split: A bet on two numbers on the grid at once. These numbers need to be adjacent to each other in some way. To make this bet, place your chip on the dividing line between the numbers.
- Street: A bet on three numbers on the grid at one. These numbers will be in the same row, such as 1, 2, 3, or 10, 11, 12. To make this bet, place your chip on the line at the end of the row.
- Corner: A bet on four numbers on the grid at once. These numbers will be connected on the grid as if they were four blocks in a larger square. To make this bet, place your chip on the corner lines connecting all four.
- Street: A bet on five numbers on the grid at once. This is a specific bet on an American-style roulette wheel that encompasses the 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3. To make this bet, place your chip on the outside corner connecting the 0 and 1.
- Six Line: A bet on six numbers on the grid at once. This bet will be on two rows next to each other, featuring six consecutive numbers (like 25 to 30). To make this bet, place your chip on the intersecting point between the two rows on the outside line of the grid.
Roulette Outside Bets
Best Bet In Roulette
These bets go on the non-single number spaces outside the grid. To make these bets, just put the chip on the space you want to inhabit. Outside bets include:
- Column: A bet on 12 numbers at once. These bets would be made in the “2 to 1” spaces on the end of each column. The numbers included in the column corresponding to the one you bet would be covered.
- Dozen: A bet on 18 numbers at once. These bets come on the spaces listed “1st 12” (1 through 12), “2nd 12”: (13 through 24) and “3rd 12” (25 through 36).
- 1 through 18/19 through 36: A bet on 18 numbers at once. You get half of the numbers on the grid with this bet, based on the numerical value. 0 and 00 spaces aren’t covered by this bet.
- Odd/Even: A bet on 18 numbers at once. This is based on whether the numbers are odd (1,3,5, etc.) or even (2,4,6, etc.) Again, the green zero spaces are not covered by this bet.
- Red/Black: A bet on 18 numbers at once. This is based on what color comes up on the wheel. Again, you lose this bet if the ball lands in a green “zero” slot.
You might be able to find different types of bets in special online roulette games. But, for the most part, the ones listed above pretty much cover the standard options for you.
Payback on Roulette Bets
Payback for the different roulette bets depends on how many numbers are covered. The more numbers you have covered, the less you’ll get in payback. It’s a simple concept that speaks to the risk incurred with each bet being proportionate to the potential reward.
With a straight bet, you’ll have a minimal chance of winning. As such, you’ll get rewarded handsomely when you hit one. By contrast, bets that cover almost half the board will give you a better chance of scoring a win, but you won’t get paid back anywhere near as much.
Take a look at the payback you can expect from American-style online roulette based on the amount of numbers you have covered.
- Single number (straight-up): 35 to 1
- Two numbers (split): 17 to 1
- Three numbers (street): 11 to 1
- Four numbers (corner): 8 to 1
- Five numbers (basket): 6 to 1
- Six numbers (six line): 5 to 1
- 12 numbers (columns, dozen): 2 to 1
- 18 numbers (odd, even, red, black, 1 to 18, 19 to 36): 1 to 1
Making Your Bets as You Play Online Roulette
In terms of online roulette, you’ll have an advantage over those playing in a casino. When you’re in a casino, the croupier won’t wait too long for your bets to be in before they start the wheel spinning. You could easily miss out if you’re slow. Because once the wheel is spinning for a few seconds, no more bets are allowed.
But with online roulette, you’ll have ample time to get your wagers in. It’s you who will activate the spinning wheel. You’re both the croupier and the player, in a sense. That will give you the time to decide on your bets before getting started.
Size of Roulette Bets Online
In most cases with online blackjack, there are limits to the amount you can bet, both on the high and the low side. But the good news is that these limits are much more in your favor if you’re a casual player than they would be if you were playing in a casino. For example, you can often wager as little as a dollar in a single spin; most casinos would require at least $5 as a minimum.
With a low minimum, you don’t have to put that much at stake for such a small chance of winning. By contrast, the website administering the game is protected from a massive payout on a single spin if a player were to bet some exorbitant amount and hit a straight-up bet.
On the whole, online roulette gives you a little bit more flexibility in terms of your bets. You’ll definitely appreciate this as you play.
Calculating Your Payback
When we listed the payback amounts, they were all listed as “to 1.” But you might not be betting just one unit as a time when playing online roulette. To estimate your payback on a given bet, you just have to do a little math.
Therefore, you just have to multiply 35 by 10. You’ll be getting $350 back. And you’re $10 bet will also be returned to you as well.
Roulette Bets Odds
Online Roulette Bets FAQ
Online Roulette Late Bets Against
Roulette Bets And Payouts
Is There Any Way That the Size of My Bet Will Affect Payback Percentage?
Your odds on any given bet playing roulette never change. It doesn’t matter whether you’re betting one or several thousand dollars. It’s just a matter of whether the spin goes your way.
Your payback percentage, which is an estimation of how much a player will return from their original bankroll, comes from the odds of winning spins and the payback attached to those spins. The inverse of that is the house edge, which measures how much the real money online gambling site offering the game will reap. Nothing about how much you bet will change these either in your favor or against it.
How Will My Personal Preferences Affect the Roulette Bets I Make?
It’s important that you determine what you’re hoping for from your online roulette action before you start to play. That will help decide what kind of bets you’re going to make. Are you someone who wants to win big in a hurry, or are you hoping to play for a long period of time?
If you’re looking for the quick score, you should be using straight bets. But if you want the long game, stick to even-money offerings. You have to decide the risk/reward ratio that suits you.
If you find a roulette betting system that closely aligns with your own philosophy or risk/reward, don’t be afraid to try it out. It might be a way to settle into a kind of betting pattern and take the guesswork out of what you’re going to do every spin.
Just don’t expect improved results in terms of earnings from using a system. No betting system can change the built-in odds of roulette. Any system that claims to do so is merely taking advantage of those who are new to betting.